The University was established as Eastern Illinois State Normal School in 1895 by the Illinois General Assembly. In response to growth and change, the institution became Eastern Illinois State Teachers College in 1921, Eastern Illinois State College in 1947, and Eastern Illinois University in 1957. The University grants bachelor’s, master’s, and specialist’s degrees, as well as graduate-level certificates in professional areas.
Organization of the University
Eastern Illinois University is governed by its own Board of Trustees. The President is responsible for the operation and general welfare of the University.
The University is organized into four areas, each headed by a vice president: Academic Affairs, Business Affairs, External Relations, and Student Affairs.
The primary academic units include the College of Arts and Humanities; the Lumpkin College of Business and Applied Sciences; the College of Education and Professional Studies; the College of Sciences; the Graduate School, International Programs, and Grants and Research; and the School of Continuing Education.
Faculty and students participate in University affairs through membership on the Faculty Senate, Student Senate, Staff Senate, and academic and administrative councils and committees. These groups, most of which have both student and faculty members, consider and recommend policies and procedures to the President.
Eastern Illinois University is located in Charleston, Illinois, county seat of Coles County, in east-central Illinois. The city has a population of approximately 20,000. Two state highways, 16 and 130, go through Charleston and provide access to Interstates 57 and 70. Amtrak service is available in Mattoon, which is approximately 10 miles west of Charleston.
The University campus is located on 320 acres and consists of 72 buildings, including 12 residence halls and 17 apartment buildings. The University also owns wooded tracts near Charleston which are used for nature study and life science research.
The Eastern Illinois University Foundation
The Eastern Illinois University Foundation was established in 1953. The purpose of the Foundation is to provide a mechanism for private support of University scholarships and programs. The Foundation provides more than $400,000 in scholarship awards each year.
Membership of the Foundation consists of more than 160 persons, including alumni and friends of the University. The Board of Directors of the Foundation consists of nine persons elected from the general membership.
Eastern Illinois University Alumni Association
The EIU Alumni Association was established in 1905 as a means of allowing continuing involvement of graduates and former students in the development of their University. The organization has a number of broad objectives which it has traditionally pursued. These include sponsoring special events for alumni; assisting with homecoming, class reunions, and similar activities; facilitating communication between alumni and the University; maintaining alumni records; and helping with fundraising and other initiatives which contribute to the welfare of the University.