Jul 18, 2024  
2023-2024 EIU Undergraduate Catalog 
2023-2024 EIU Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Department of Foreign Languages

World Languages and Cultures: French, German or Spanish Teacher Licensure (B.A.)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Majors and Minors

Total Semester Hours required for the Degree: 120 semester hours

Semester Hours required for the World Languages and Cultures: French, German or Spanish Teacher Licensure Major: 38 semester hours

The BA in World Languages and Cultures with Teacher Licensure is a K-12 licensure program and is comprised of 1) 40 semester hours of General Education, 2) professional education core courses as specified below and including ELE 2050 and WLE 3400, 3) 32 semester hours in French, German or Spanish including 3 semester hours of Cadet Teaching (WLF/WLG/WLS 3401).

This major requires that students follow and meet the requirements for Admission, Retention and Graduation from Teacher Licensure programs as described in the “Teacher Licensure Programs” section of this catalog and as explained at the University Admission to Teacher Education Meeting which all students must attend. Students must gain University Approval to Take Teacher Education Courses no later than the end of their first semester Junior year in order to use this suggested plan. Additional information on Admission, Retention and Graduation for Teacher Licensure programs can be found on the College of Education website at https://www.eiu.edu/coe/teached.php.

Students must receive a “C” or better in all courses used toward graduation, regardless of where they are taken. This includes general education, professional education, major and minor course, all university required courses, and electives. Students must maintain a minimum cumulative and major GPA of 2.65 in order to continue in the program.

Students must complete the professional education coursework following the Secondary Education Professional Education Course Sequence. Information is available in the Teacher Licensure Program section of this catalog.

Students must pass the edTPA (teacher performance assessment) before they can receive their teaching license from Illinois or any other state. Students will make their edTPA submission during student teaching.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Majors and Minors