Oct 21, 2021  
2011-2012 EIU Undergraduate Catalog 
2011-2012 EIU Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Department of Foreign Languages

Foreign Languages: French, German or Spanish Teacher Certification (B.A.)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Majors and Minors

The BA in Foreign Languages with Teacher Certification is a K-12 certification and is comprised of 1) 40 semester hours of General Education, 2) professional education core courses as specified below and including ELE 2320, 3) 32 semester hours in French, German or Spanish including 3 semester hours of Cadet Teaching (FLF/FLG/FLS 3401).

This major requires that students follow and meet the requirements for Admission, Retention and Graduation from Teacher Certification programs as described in the “Teacher Certification Programs” section of this catalog and as explained at the University Admission to Teacher Education Meeting which all students must attend. Students must gain University Approval to Take Teacher Education Courses no later that the end of their first semester Junior year in order to use this suggested plan. Additional information on Admission, Retention and Graduation for Teacher Certification programs can be found on the College of Education & Professional Studies website at www.eiu.edu/ceps/teached.

All students must pass the Illinois Certification Test of Basic Skills for selection into teacher education and should complete this requirement no later than their sophomore year.

Students must receive a “C” or better in all professional education courses and maintain a minimum cumulative and major GPA of 2.65 in order to continue in the program.

Students have two options for completing the professional education coursework – Regular Secondary Education Program and Integrated Secondary Education Program (ISEP). For more information regarding these two options please consult with your advisor. Information is also available in the Teacher Certification Program section of this catalog.


Students must complete all the professional coursework under either the Regular Secondary Education Program or the Integrated Secondary Education Program.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Majors and Minors