The University was established as Eastern Illinois State Normal School in 1895 by the Illinois General Assembly. In response to growth and change, the institution became Eastern Illinois State Teachers College in 1921, Eastern Illinois State College in 1947, and Eastern Illinois University in 1957. The University grants bachelor’s, master’s, and specialist’s degrees, as well as graduate-level certificates in professional areas.
Organization of the University
Eastern Illinois University is governed by its own Board of Trustees. The President is responsible for the operation and general welfare of the University.
The University is organized into four areas, each headed by a vice president: Academic Affairs, Business Affairs, External Relations, and Student Affairs.
The primary academic units include the College of Arts and Humanities; the Lumpkin College of Business and Applied Sciences; the College of Education and Professional Studies; the College of Sciences; the Graduate School; Honors College; International Students and Scholars;, Research and Sponsored Programs; and the School of Continuing Education.
Faculty and students participate in University affairs through membership on the Faculty Senate, Student Senate, Staff Senate, and academic and administrative councils and committees. These groups, most of which have both student and faculty members, consider and recommend policies and procedures to the President of the University.
Eastern Illinois University is located in Charleston, Illinois, county seat of Coles County, in east-central Illinois. The city has a population of approximately 20,000. Two state highways, 16 and 130, go through Charleston and provide access to Interstates 57 and 70. Amtrak service is available in Mattoon, which is approximately 10 miles west of Charleston.
The University campus is located on 320 acres and consists of 72 buildings, including 12 residence halls and 17 apartment buildings. The University also owns wooded tracts near Charleston which are used for nature study and life science research.
The Eastern Illinois University Foundation
The Eastern Illinois University Foundation was established in 1953 under the laws of the State of Illinois as a not-for-profit organization. There are over 160 alumni and friends of the University who serve as members of the Foundation. The nine-member Board of Directors is elected from the general membership. The Foundation’s purpose is to assist and support the University’s educational ad cultural mission through encouraging philanthropic gifts of money, property, works of art, and other materials having educational, artistic, or historical value. At June 30, 2010, Foundation assets totaled more than $56.6 million, of which $37.9 million is endowed for scholarships and grants to the University. During the 2009-2010 year, the Foundation awarded more than $884,000 in scholarships, and transferred $1.6 million in grants to the University. The Neal Welcome Center, home of the Foundation, is located at 860 W. Lincoln Avenue in Charleston. The building, on the city’s west edge, also serves to welcome visiting students and their parents, providing printed materials as well a video introductions to the University’s campus.
Eastern Illinois University Alumni Association
The EIU Alumni Association was established in 1905 as a means of allowing continuing involvement of graduates and former students in the development of their University. The organization has a number of broad objectives which it has traditionally pursued. These include sponsoring special events for alumni; assisting with homecoming, class reunions, and similar activities; facilitating communication between alumni and the University; maintaining alumni records; and helping with fundraising and other initiatives which contribute to the welfare of the University.